MUMBAI: Actor Karan Oberoi 's rape accuser surrendered two cellphones to Oshiwara police on Monday, three days after the Bombay high court granted him bail and questioned police on their failure to seize the woman's phones.
Questioning the delayed police action, Oberoi's lawyer, Dinesh Tiwari, said, "It is extremely surprising how police probed without seizing her phones, despite a strong reprimand from HC on June 7 during Oberoi's bail hearing. They allowed three days to pass before seizing the phones. Every passing moment leaves the possibility for (the woman) to destroy data (on her phones)."
Tiwari said police were requested to make the seizures at the beginning of the case. "In fact, right from the beginning, we have been asking police by way of legal notices and applications filed in court to take charge of the mobile phones of the complainant, which they did not do for reasons best known to the m," he said on Monday.
A source said police, who are yet to question the woman in connection with her "false" second FIR, filed on May 25, about an alleged attack on herself, will summon her soon. An officer said she would be questioned on the attack, which police say she staged when she went for morning walk in Andheri. During Oberoi's bail hearing, the HC asked the investigating officer of the Oshiwara police station why no action had been taken against the woman for "staging her own attack". "The woman hasn't yet been arrested in the self-attack case as we are following legal process. Action will be taken in the next few days," said a senior police officer.
The woman is reportedly out of town and it was her mother who went to Oshiwara police station on Monday to hand over the phones, said an officerThe cellphones will be sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for data retrieval and to verify her claims of repeated rape by Oberoi.